File a Complaint as a Resident



Para ver esta información en español, elija "Spanish" del menú desplegable "Select Language" en la parte superior derecha. O, para solicitar esta información en español, comuníquese con el programa a través del correo electrónico MHPOP@state.co.us o llame al 1-833-924-1147 (llamada gratuita).


File a Complaint

Individuals and groups must use the official program complaint form to file a complaint.

File a Complaint


How Complaints Work

Under Colorado law, the Mobile Home Park Oversight Program investigates complaints that fall under the Mobile Home Park Act, the Dispute Resolution and Enforcement Program, and/or a Rule under 8 CCR 1302-1.

  • The program doesn’t represent either side, such as a mobile home owner or park landlord, in a dispute. It acts as a neutral party to encourage both sides to communicate and ensure state law is being followed.
  • After someone files a complaint, staff encourage the parties to come up with their own solutions to resolve the complaint.
  • To carry out their duty under state law, staff educate the parties about the laws that apply to mobile home parks in Colorado. Staff cannot be your legal representative, and the information they share isn’t legal advice.
  • Alleged violations are investigated at the program’s discretion. The program may send a letter to one or both parties declining to investigate one or more issues in a complaint. For example, we may decline to investigate if the issues are outside of the program’s jurisdiction, or authority to investigate.
  • When the parties don’t agree on a way to resolve a complaint, staff may determine next steps either party must take to follow state laws.
    • If the parties can’t agree on a resolution, staff send a written determination and a notice of violation or notice of non-violation to both parties. For alleged issues in the complaint, the notice will identify:
      • Whether a violation occurred
      • What actions the parties need to take to correct any violations, and
      • When those actions are due 
      • Either party may appeal the decision within 15 business days of receiving the notice and request a hearing before the Colorado Office of Administrative Courts. Learn more about the complaint process and potential results for residents or landlords.
  • If a person or entity pays a penalty, the money goes toward the fund for the Mobile Home Park Oversight Program, not to the person that complained. For example, if a home owner’s complaint leads to a landlord penalty, the home owner doesn’t get the money.

Who Can File a Complaint

Individual Home Owners, Groups of Home Owners, and Landlords (Park Owners and Managers)

The program currently accepts complaints from:

  • People who own a mobile or manufactured home and rent lot space in a mobile home park, including people with rent-to-own or lease-to-own agreements
  • Groups of home owners in a mobile park, including home owner associations
  • Mobile home park owners, managers, and landlords

The complaint program is available in communities where there are five or more mobile or manufactured homes. Get the details on what’s considered a mobile home under Colorado law.

Individuals Renting a Mobile Home from the Landlord

Starting July 1, 2024, individuals who rent a mobile or manufactured home from the landlord of the mobile home park may file a complaint with the division.

In order to file a complaint as a renter, you must:

  • Be renting the home from the park owner, park manager, or their agent; and
  • Have an issue that falls under the Mobile Home Park Act, Dispute Resolution or Enforcement Program, or the program’s administrative rules.

Examples of issues that any mobile home park resident (renter or home owner) can file a complaint about include issues related to:

  • Maintenance or repairs of park premises, including roads, trees, and common areas
  • Maintenance or repairs of park-owned utility, water, and sewer lines and related connections
  • Posting and sharing of the Notice of Home Owner and Resident Rights
  • Monthly water billing and water leak notifications
  • Resident meetings in common areas and requests to meet with the landlord, or
  • Alleged retaliation by a landlord against a resident for exercising one of their legal rights

In general, issues related to the condition of the home itself, repairs that need to be made to the home, or attempts by the landlord to end your tenancy will not fall under the division’s complaint program. For help with these issues, renters may want to speak with an outside attorney. To find groups that may offer free or low-cost legal help to renters, visit Foreclosures, Evictions, and Legal Help.

Nonprofits and Local Governments

Starting July 1, 2024, nonprofit organizations and local governments may file a complaint with the division. In order to file a complaint, an individual or group must be named on the complaint form who has suffered an injury or had one of their rights violated under the Mobile Home Park Act (Act), Dispute Resolution or Enforcement Program (DREP), or the program’s administrative rules. This means that in most cases, nonprofits and local governments will need to name another complainant(s) on the complaint form whom the nonprofit or local government is representing and who has suffered an injury under the Act, DREP, or program rules.

Nonprofits and local governments may:

  1. Help a landlord, resident, home owner, or group of home owners file a complaint. Under this scenario, the nonprofit or local government would help file the complaint, but would not be involved in the complaint investigation or resolution afterward.
  2. Act as the agent for a landlord, resident, home owner, or group of home owners in the complaint process. In this scenario, a nonprofit or local government has the express permission of the landlord, resident, home owner, or group of home owners to represent them and make decisions on their behalf in the complaint and dispute resolution process.
  3. File a complaint alleging a landlord, former landlord, or home owner violated a right that the nonprofit or local government has under the act, program or administrative rules.  


A group of home owners has assigned their right to make an offer to purchase a mobile home park that is for sale to a nonprofit or local government, and the landlord selling the park is allegedly not negotiating in good faith with the nonprofit or local government, the nonprofit or local government can file a complaint with the program on its own behalf.


Under options 1 and 2 above, the nonprofit or local government will need to provide the name and mailing address of at least one resident or home owner whom staff can contact to investigate the complaint. However, the division is required to take all reasonable steps to avoid disclosing this individual’s identity to their landlord without the individual’s permission if the complaint is: 

  • About a general violation that affects multiple residents, and 
  • Something staff can investigate without revealing the resident or home owner’s identity

Read more about complaint confidentiality.

Types of Complaints We Investigate

We investigate complaints about violations of the Mobile Home Park Act, Dispute Resolution and Enforcement Program, or administrative rules. 


The Mobile Home Park Act and Dispute Resolution Program does not cover complaints or allegations about:

  • Campers, motor homes and recreational vehicles (RVs) 
  • Issues with towing vehicles.  The Public Utilities Commission (PUC) is the primary regulator of the towing industry in Colorado.  Visit the PUC’s website to find more information on their complaint program.
  • Animals running free.  For this issue, you may want to contact your local animal control agency.
  • Neighbor to neighbor disputes
  • Criminal activity.  For this issue, you may want to contact local law enforcement.
  • Heating and cooling issues due to repairs that need to be made inside a mobile home.  If you are renting a mobile home that has health or safety issues not caused by you, you may be able to file a warranty of habitability claim against the owner of the home in court. Find more information about legal assistance
  • Frozen pipes on a home owner’s lot that were not wrapped in heat tape

We Can Investigate Allegations That a Landlord or Former Landlord:

  • Charged fees that a home owner did not agree to in writing
  • Charged fees for services that were not actually performed
  • Charged fees not included in the lease or rental agreement
  • Increased rent more than once in a 12-month period
  • Did not provide at least 60 days advance written notice of a rent increase
  • Is missing information on the water bill or is charging improperly for water
  • Did not maintain water lines, sewer lines or utility lines that the landlord owns
  • Did not maintain park premises or common areas, including trees
  • Did not maintain roads or other pavement, including by snow plowing
  • Did not maintain grading of the lots
  • Did not have a lawful reason to terminate (end) a home owner’s tenancy
  • Misled home owner about signing a new lease
  • Took retaliatory action against a home owner in response to a home owner filing a complaint or exercising another legal right
  • Did not provide a timely water shutoff notice
  • Added or amended rules without providing 60 days’ notice
  • Did not ensure the park is accessible to you as a person with disabilities
  • Did not provide timely and complete notice of the landlord's intent to sell the park
  • Did not negotiate in good faith with a group or association of home owners or their assignee when selling a mobile home park
  • Moved forward with a park sale before the home owners' opportunity to purchase expired


Was this content helpful?