Jurisdictions without Building Departments - Modulars


In Colorado, over 300 areas have governing bodies, but not all have active building departments. The Department of Housing (DOH) oversees construction, focusing on foundation systems for Factory built homes and HUD homes in areas without building departments.

Stick Built Hotels, Motels, and Multi-Family

The Division of Housing oversees the approval of plans, inspection processes, and issuing Certificates of Occupancy (CO) for all stick-built hotels, motels, and on-site multi-family structures.

Foundation Requirements

As of July 1, 2023, the Division of Housing has taken on the task of approving, inspecting, and final approval of foundations for factory-built homes and HUD in areas without building departments.

Jurisdictions Without Building Department

Below is a list of the Division of Housing known local jurisdictions without building departments. 

  • Baca County  
  • Cheyenne County  
  • Costilla County  
  • Custer County  
  • Delta County
  • Dolores County
  • Kit Carson County
  • Mineral County  
  • Montezuma County
  • Phillips County  
  • Prowers County  
  • Saguache County
  • Sedgwick County  
  • Washington County
  • Yuma County

Montezuma County doesn't issue Certificates of Occupancy or enforce any residential building codes. But they do require that a person acquire the proper permits before building in the county.

Foundation Resources

Inspection Scheduling

Prior to the issuance of a CO of the applicable stick built structures or the installation of a factory built structure, it is imperative that the applicant schedule an inspection for items that are going to be concealed within assemblies not visible at the final construction stage. These items include but are not limited to rebar, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, framing, energy, fire and life safety components.

Schedule Your Inspection

Third Party Inspection Agencies

  • The Division of Housing has approved third-party inspection agencies, who are authorized to complete certain inspections on the behalf of the division. The Agencies may do inspections in these jurisdictions without building departments for On-site Construction (OC) items to complete the compliance of factory built structures, and foundation inspections.
  • Third-party agencies are authorized to inspect HUD foundation systems.
  • Third-party agencies who would like to inspect the installation of Manufactured homes, are required to register as an installation inspector. Please refer to Inspection Scheduling.

Plan Submission

In jurisdictions without building departments, foundation plans are required to be submitted to the the Division of Housing for approval. Typical, modular structures still require construction drawings to be submitted to the Division of Housing for approval. Please submit your plans to the correct entity:


Was this content helpful?