Change of Use for Residents



Para ver esta información en español, elija "Spanish" del menú desplegable "Select Language" en la parte superior derecha. O, para solicitar esta información en español, comuníquese con el programa a través del correo electrónico MHPOP@state.co.us o llame al 1-833-924-1147 (llamada gratuita).


Actions a Landlord Must Take

If a landlord wants to change the use of part or all of a mobile home park, and one or more home owners will be displaced because of the change of use, then the landlord must take the following actions at least 12 months before the change of use will occur:

  1. Mail a written notice, in English and Spanish, by certified mail to each home owner and other parties;
  2. Post the notice in a conspicuous place on the mobile home or at the main point of entry to the lot; 
  3. Post the notice in a clearly visible location in common areas of the park; and
  4. Keep the notice publicly posted for at least 120 days. See section 38-12-217(1)(b) and (2), C.R.S.

Home owners should communicate directly with the park owner or landlord to get clarification on the timeline and how part or all of the park will be changing. You can also organize or participate in resident meetings to develop a unified approach to addressing these changes.

Know the Law

The Mobile Home Park Oversight Program encourages you to read the law and rules on the change of use of a mobile home park so that you can better understand your rights.

Program staff can help provide education on law, but cannot provide you with legal advice. If you would like help understanding your rights and responsibilities under Colorado law, you may want to speak with an outside attorney. Find out more about organizations that provide free and low cost legal help.  

Compensation for Home Owners

If a landlord is temporarily or permanently closing the mobile home park or certain lots to mobile homes, home owners who are impacted are entitled to compensation. In order to get compensation from the landlord, a home owner must submit a written request for compensation to the landlord. A home owner may demand in writing that:

  • The landlord pay the costs to relocate their home and belongings; or
  • The landlord buy their mobile home from them.

Payment of Relocation Costs

If a mobile home lot or park is closing, the home owner can demand in writing that the landlord pay the actual costs to relocate the home owner’s mobile home.  To get this compensation, a home owner should request estimates for relocation costs from mobile home movers.  The landlord may request a copy of the estimate, and the amount paid will be based on the lowest estimate obtained by the home owner.  To be eligible for this option, the home owner must submit their written demand to the landlord for relocation costs at least thirty (30) days before the date of the change in use, and must actually relocate their home and belongings.  See section 38-12-203.5, C.R.S.

If requested by the home owner, the landlord must pay for expenses related to:

  • Moving the mobile home up to 100 miles by road.  The home owner is responsible for any additional mileage costs over 100 miles
  • Moving furniture and personal belongings
  • Disassembling, moving and reassembling structures such as as porches, decks, skirting, awnings, and sheds owned by the home owner
  • Anchoring the home
  • Disconnecting and connecting utilities
  • Insurance coverage during the move, and
  • Disassembling and reinstalling any accessibility improvements such as wheelchair ramps, lifts, and grab bars

Purchase of Your Mobile Home

If a mobile home lot or park is closing, and the home owner is not able to or does not want to relocate their mobile home, the home owner can demand in writing that the landlord buy their mobile home.  If the home owner requests this option, the home owner is entitled to the greater of:

  • $7,500 for a single-section mobile home or $10,000 for a multi-section mobile home (adjusted on July 1 yearly), or
  • 100% of the in-place fair market value as determined by an appraisal process.  

See section 38-12-203.5(2)(b)(II), C.R.S. for more information about appraisal requirements.

Under the MHPOP’s administrative rules, the home owner can choose to go through the appraisal process, or to simply receive the flat rate (ex. $7,500 or $10,000 as of May 2024).

  • If the home owner wants to go through the appraisal process, the home owner must submit their written demand to the landlord for the landlord pay for an appraisal on their home and buy their mobile home at least 150 days before the date the change in use will occur.
  • If the home owner wants to skip the appraisal process, the home owner must clearly state in their written demand to the landlord that the home owner is choosing to receive the flat rate for the sale of their home, and must submit this demand at least 30 days before the date the change of use will occur.  See 8 CCR 1302-15, Rules 9.2-9.3.

Additional Resources

These organizations provide information for renters and mobile home owners.

Legal Assistance

Find organizations that provide legal assistance to those who qualify on Legal and Rent Assistance Resources for Tenants.


Was this content helpful?