Disputes with Landlords


Some tenant-landlord issues are easily resolved by learning the right steps to take when a problem arises. Documenting maintenance issues with pictures and video can go a long way. Depending on the situation, it is also important to follow up any verbal, text message, or email notifications to your landlord with a letter in certified mail. Not sure where to start?

If you're renting a residential dwelling home or a mobile/manufactured home on land in Colorado and find yourself in a situation where you're concerned about eviction or have questions about your rental agreement, resources are available to assist you.

The Division of Housing recommends contacting Colorado Housing Connects at their website or calling 1-844-926-6632. They specialize in providing guidance and support to renters and mobile/manufactured homeowners who may be facing challenges related to their housing situation.


Residents of Mobile Home Parks

If you are a resident in a mobile home park, refer to the Mobile Home Park Oversight Program.


Building Code Enforcement

It's important to note that, in general, the Colorado Division of Housing does not have the authority to enforce housing codes or, and they also don't mediate disputes between landlords and tenants.  The exceptions are if you are a mobile/manufactured home owner renting lot space in a Colorado mobile home park or if you are facing a building code issue in a jurisdiction that does not have its building department.

Foreclosures, Evictions, and Legal Help 

For additional resources, visit the Division of Housing Foreclosures, Evictions, and Legal Help page.


Immediate Housing/Rental Assistance

Individuals facing homelessness or eviction can find resources by calling 2-1-1 Colorado. While the Division of Housing doesn't provide immediate aid, 2-1-1 connects people with emergency shelter, food, rental assistance, healthcare, and more.

2-1-1 Colorado is a confidential and multilingual service in Colorado that focuses on linking residents with essential services through phone or online channels. This service operates via four Area Information Centers across the state.

No matter where you are in Colorado, dialing 2-1-1 gives you access to local resources for food, housing, child care, counseling, or substance abuse treatment. It's the one number for the help you need.


Non-Immediate/Rental Assistance Needs

Visit the Division of Housing’s Housing and Rental Assistance Resource page for assistance with non-immediate needs.


Was this content helpful?