Jurisdictions without Building Departments - Tiny Homes and Tiny Houses


In Colorado, over 300 areas have governing bodies, but not all have active building departments. The Department of Housing (DOH) oversees construction, focusing on foundation systems for factory-built and HUD homes in areas without building departments.

Foundation Requirements

Starting July 1st, 2023, DOH has taken on the task of approving, inspecting, and final approval of foundations for factory-built homes and HUD in areas without building departments. 

Jurisdictions Without Building Department 

Below is a list of the DOH-known local jurisdictions without building departments. 

  • Baca County
  • Cheyenne County
  • Costilla County
  • Custer County
  • Delta County
  • Dolores County
  • Kit Carson County
  • Mineral County
  • Montezuma County
  • Phillips County
  • Prowers County
  • Saguache County
  • Sedgwick County
  • Washington County
  • Yuma County

Montezuma County doesn't issue C.O.'s or enforce any residential building codes. But they do require that a person acquire the proper permits before building in the county. 

Foundation Resources

Inspection Scheduling

Prior to the issuance of a CO of the applicable stick built structures or the installation of a factory built structure, it is imperative that the applicant schedule an inspection for items that are going to be concealed within assemblies not visible at the final construction stage. These items include but are not limited to rebar, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, framing, energy, fire and life safety components.

Schedule Your Inspection

Third Party Inspection Agencies

  • The DOH has approved third-party inspection agencies, who are authorized to complete certain inspections on the behalf of the division. The Agencies may do inspections in these jurisdictions without building departments for On-site Construction (OC) items to complete the compliance of factory built structures, and foundation inspections.  
  • Third-party agencies who would like to inspect the installation of Manufactured homes, are required to register as an installation inspector. Please refer to the installation section on the previous page. 

Plan Submission 

In jurisdictions without building departments, foundation plans are required to be submitted to the DOH for approval. Typical, modular structures still require construction drawings to be submitted to the DOH for approval. Please submit your plans to the correct entity:


Was this content helpful?